Thursday, February 2, 2012

Message from Asha's cousins


My name is Craig and this is Paul. We are two of Asha’s cousins and would like to share some memories and insights of who Asha was to her family.

We have often said that we feel more like siblings than cousins; our relationships have spread further and ran deeper than family holidays and special occasions. We all feel we have lost far more than a cousin. Our parents have lost more tha


I was talking to Kai yesterday and we were saying that in times of loss, those who are left behind tend to reflect on qualities that they admired. When it comes to our Asha, we can honestly say that there are only good things to
remember. Asha’s kindness and humility; her quiet confidence and self-belief; the way that she followed her own convictions; and her love for her family. Although her time with us was short Asha’s impact was on us was profound.n a niece. On Wednesday our lives as a family were turned upside-down. From now onwards, every time we come together as a family, there will be a deep sense of loss in our hearts but we will continue to hold onto our precious memories of Asha.

I am heart broken, but I am incredibly grateful for the memories and for the relationship that we shared.

PAUL

Being the

only other cousin who grew up in Cape Town, meant Asha and I spent a lot of time together when we were younger. We attended the same schools, lived in the same suburbs, had the same friends, and as I reflect back, she played a fundamental part in forming the person I am today. I’m pretty sure she never knew it, but I always looked up to her, and strived to be more like her, I would like to say I was in awe all the books she had read, but at that young age I was probably more impressed because she had. cartoon network

As time went on our lives grew apart and we saw each other less, but I’m glad to say I never lost my admiration for my beautiful cousin. Like any good friends it wasn't the amount of time we spent together but the quality of time we shared. I felt like I could chat to Asha about everything, no matter how silly or serious the topic, she always seamed to put everything in perspective for me. AND like any good teacher she never gave me the answer, but rather guided me to find it myself. Your selflessness and care for others will always stand out as one the qualities I most admire in you, I think while you were in hospital these qualities were on full display. Even though we came to visit you, you were still more concerned about how we were, than about yourself. I remember last Monday, as you lay dazed and confused in your hospital bed, I offered you some water, as your mouth was clearly dry, and you replied, “If you don’t mind? Unless you would like some first?”

They say “you don’t know what you’ve got till its gone, well that doesn’t apply to Asha, I always knew you were special, and I think anybody who was lucky enough to have met you would say the same.

Without you the world seams a lot scarier, and I am so sad that we will not be growing old together like we had planned, but I will forever be in awe of you, and I hope that one day when I grow up I will be like you. I love you.

We would like to share a few messages from some of Asha’s other cousins:

Wade and Karen- oldest cousin from Australia and his wife

Asha was very easy to love. She was to us, an unassuming and honest presence. As her eldest cousin I loved her very much. The reality that she is no longer with us is hard to accept. To Heather, Peter, Kai, and the family that have been a close part of her life, we can only imagine the trauma and pain that you are going through. We love you all very much and hope with all our heart that the love of those close to you will help you through the weeks and months ahead. All our love,

Lloyd- Wades younger brother who lives in China

I will remember Asha as a sweet, intelligent and beautiful younger cousin. From playing hide and seek with her in the Kirstenbosch gardens when she was little and more recently sitting around Heather and Pete's kitchen table laughing at her clever and cheeky jokes. I was impressed by the obvious love and respect she had for her mom and dad and her brother. Asha was a cousin I will always feel proud of.

Michelle- One of our younger cousins who has recently moved to Melbourne with her family

Asha was like the big sister I always wished I had. She was extremely clever, one of the kindest people I knew and of course, beautiful. The entire package; a true role model. I would always boast about how smart and cool my older cousin Asha was. Every time we visited Cape Town she was one of the people I would look forward to seeing the most. I know I will miss her with all of my heart. And the wonderful memories I have of the times with her I will never forget. I love and miss you already, cuz.

Kelsey- Michelle’s younger sister

Asha was the sort of person who included everyone no matter what. She made me laugh and had valid opinions and added something to every conversation. She was kind and took interest in me even though I was the youngest. I'll always remember her like that.

Jackie- My older sister

Asha was what I would imagine a fairy to be. Filled with light, delicate and beautiful and always wise. From her earliest days Asha was my little fairy cousin blonde, happy...I think Asha was the most peaceful and self-fulfilled person that I have ever known and I will always remember and aspire towards this grace. I guess like a fairy she lived and like a fairy she floated out of our lives leaving her sparkle in our midst. Her sparkle will always be around us in everything graceful, peaceful and beautiful that we see. Just like she was.

Jade- my wife

As I got to know Asha, I came to understand and share the respect and affection I had known my husband to hold in his heart for his sweet cousin. She was soft and gentle, but quietly strong and devoted to her convictions. Asha’s heart was pure. She had integrity and grace that will continue to inspire those who were honoured to connect with her soul. I have been a part of this family for long enough to know that their lives have been changed forever. The world is darker than it was before without the light that was radiated by the beautiful face and heart of our precious cousin, Asha.

Although today is a painful day, it fills our hearts to see how many people are here to honour Asha. As her family, we are proud that she was one of ours because she shared who she was so generously with all of you.

Asha, we love you. We will never stop missing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment